Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Another Twilight Blog

I am a member of many Twilight fan groups and messages boards. Lately I have been getting a lot of crap from other fans because I didn't think the film adaptation was "perfect" or that Kristen Stewart was the embodiment of Bella Swan. I have been called "stupid" and "not a true fan." And those are the nicer of the comments that I have received. It is for this very reason that I hate the hype that the movie has brought to the beloved book. Before you send me to the slaughter, let me explain...

I am thrilled that the book is getting so much attention. I couldn't be happier about the fact that more people are reading the book and falling in love with Bella and Edward's story. It is the greatest love story of all time and my favorite book by far. I am also happy that a film version was made. It introduced non-readers to Bella and Edward. My favorite person in the world, my sister, has not read the book and I was so excited for her to meet the Cullens.

There were things that I absoultely loved about the movie. I thought all of the vampires in the film were brilliant. I thought Rob did an amazing job of bringing Edward to life. The script contained a lot of lines from the book. And I thought certain scenes were completely spot on.

However, I stand by my original review of the movie. The meadow scene, the most important chapter in the book, was completely skewed and poorly done. And the things that Catherine Hardwick decided to add simply because "that's what they do in Forks" were amateurish and just a little too artsy-fartsy. I also stand by my comments about Kristen Stewart's horrible acting and poor portrayal of Bella.

I do not HATE the film adaption of Twilight. I just really, truly, deeply love the book. The following is a blog that I wrote on Myspace on May 7th, 2007 after reading Twilight in four days.

I'd never given much thought to how I would die - though I'd had reason enough in the last few months - but even if I had, I would not have imagined it like this.I stared without breathing across the long room, into the dark eyes of the hunter, and he looked pleasantly back at me.Surely it was a good way to die, in the place of someone else, someone I loved. Noble, even. That ought to count for something.I knew that if I'd never gone to Forks, I wouldn't be facing death now. But, terrified as I was, I couldn't bring myself to regret the decision. When life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end.The hunter smiled in a friendly way as he sauntered forward to kill me....
My eyes closed, and I drifted. As I drifted, I dreamed.Where I floated, under the dark water, I heard the happiest sound my mind could conjure up - as beautiful, as uplifting, as it was ghastly. It was a snarl; a deep, wild roar that rang with fury.I was brought back, almost to the surface, by a sharp pain slashing my upraised hand, but I couldn't find my way back far enough to open my eyes.And then I knew I was dead. Because, through the heavy water, I heard the sound of an angel calling my name, calling me to the only heaven I wanted.
"Oh no, Bella, no!" the angel's voice cried in horror.
Behind that longed-for sound was another noise - an awful tumult that my mind shied away from. A vicious bass growling, a shocking snapping sound, and a high keening, suddenly breaking off...I tried to concentrate on the angel's voice instead.
"Bella, please! Bella, listen to me, please, please, Bella, please!" he begged.
Yes, I wanted to say. Anything. But I couldn't find my lips.
"Carlisle!" the angel called, agony in his perfect voice.
"Bella, Bella, no, oh please, no, no!"
And the angel was sobbing tearless, broken sobs.The angel shouldn't weep, it was wrong. I tried to find him, to tell him everything was fine, but the water was so deep, it was pressing on me, and I couldn't breathe.
"She's lost some blood, but the head wound isn't deep," a calm voice infomred me.
"Watch out for her leg, it's broken."
A howl of rage strangled on the angel's lips. I felt a sharp stab in my side. This couldn't be heaven, could it? There was too much pain for that.There was a new pain, a scalding pain in my hand that was overshadowing everything else. Someone was burning me.
"Edward."
I tried to tell him, but my voice was so heavy and slow. I couldn't understand myself.
"Bella, you're going to be fine. Can you hear me, Bella? I love you."
"Edward," I tried again. My voice a little clearer.
"Yes, I'm here."
"It hurts," I whimpered.
"I know, Bella, I know."
"My hand hurts," I tried to tell him.
"I know, Bella. Carlisle will give you something, it will stop."
"My hand is burning!"
I screamed, finally breaking through the last of the darkness, my eyes fluttering open. I couldn't see his face, something dark and warm was clouding my eyes. His voice was frightened.
"Bella? Carlisle! Her hand!"
"He bit her."
Carlisle's voice was no longer calm.I heard Edward catch his breath in horror.
"Edward, you have to do it."
"No!" he bellowed.
"There may be a chance," Carlisle said.
"See if you can suck the venom back out."
"Carlisle, I..."
Edward hesitated.
"I don't know if I can do that."
There was agony in his beautiful voice again.
"It's your decision, Edward, either way. I can't help you. I have to get this bleeding stopped here if you're going to be taking blood from her hand."
I writhed in the grip of the fiery torture, the movement making the pain in my leg flare sickeningly.
"Edward!" I screamed.
I opened my eyes again, desperate to find his face. And I found him. Finally, I could see his perfect face, staring at me, twisted into a mask of indecision and pain. I watched his eyes as the doubt was suddenly replaced with a blazing determination. His jaw tightened. I felt his cool, strong fingers on my buring hand, locking it in place. Then his head bent over it, and his cold lips pressed against my skin. At first the pain was worse. I screamed and thrashed against the cool hands that held me back. Then, slowly, my writhing calmed as my hand grew more and more numb. The fire was dulling.
"Edward,"
I tried to say, but I coudn't hear my voice. They could hear me.
"He's right here, Bella."
"Stay, Edward, stay with me..."
"I will."
His voice was strained, but somehow triumphant. I sighed.
"Thank you, Edward."
"I love you," he answered.
"I know," I breathed, so tired.
I heard my favorite sound in the world, Edward's quiet laugh, weak with relief.
-
And if that doesn't do it for you, I don't know what will. I wasn't even through the first chapter of Twilight before I knew that it was the best book that I was ever going to read. I was completely hooked the very minute that Bella Swan first saw Edward Cullen. I fell in love with him instantaneously. I defy any woman not to fall in love with him. He will make you weak.
Read this book.

1 comment:

Jeanie Doll said...

Like we talked about, blow that off. They are just dumb kids or stupid adults. :) I love you and I had so much fun talking to you last night!